Dog Houses for German Shepherds: German shepherds are strong, intelligent dogs that need to live inside the house. When you take your dog outside, it’s important to make sure they have shelter from the weather.
German Shepherds are big dogs with a long history of being used as farm dogs and protectors. They need a sturdy dog house to keep them safe from the elements and provide a comfortable shelter.
You can either build a doghouse or buy one, but there are plenty of options available on the market. If you’re looking for outdoor and weatherproof dog houses for German shepherds, we have shortlisted a few best ones for you.
Here is a list of five dog houses that will work best for them:
Best overall: Petsfit Wooden Dog Houses
Best in Budget: Dkeli, white Large Dog House Indoor Outdoor
Best for Outdoor: Rockever Wood Dog Houses Outdoor
Another Budget House: Dog House Doghouse House
Best Elevated with Porch: PawHut 67″ Large Wooden Cabin Style Elevated
- 【Large Dog House Outdoor Suitable for Medium to Large Dog...
- 【Durable Construction and Easy Assembly】100% made of...
- 【Protective Design and Open-up Roof with High-quality...
- 【Removable Floor with Additional Support Rails, More...
Petsfit wooden dog houses are designed to be weatherproof for small, medium, and large dogs.
These durable structures are perfect for outdoor use or indoor use when you want your dog to feel like he’s in his “special place”.
Petsfit offers three different sizes in their wooden dog houses to suit the needs of any size dog.
- This heavy-duty raised dog house can be mounted on any level surface including concrete, grass, dirt, or sand with the included ground anchors.
- Petsfit Dog Houses are custom designed to suit any size of the dog, from small dogs to large breeds.
- A Petsfit Dog House will keep your dog safe and comfortable during those cold winter months.
- ✔【DURABLE Our dog house is secured with snap buttons and...
- ✔【Extra Large Space】Brand Square Q:209542779 dog house...
- ✔【Weatherproof Construction Design Brand Square...
- ✔【Vented Design and Constant Temperature】 Our dog...
Dkeli’s large dog house is a pet shelter from the elements for any size pup.
The house has been designed to provide ventilation and allow airflow to keep your pup comfortable during hot summer days. It has an elevated floor, so it doesn’t get too wet or cold in the wintertime.
Furthermore, the dog house is easy to assemble and the high sidewalls offer protection from pets that might bite or bark at your dog while inside. It comes with a carrying case for easy storage!
- Ideal for home, farm, kennel, pet daycare
- Ideal for all types of climates
- Durable and easy to clean plastic
- Cozy and safe place in your yard or in your home
- Ideal for small, medium, and large breeds
- Tough bottom plate to prevent leakages
- Easy assembly
- 【Recommend for large pets】 Large dogs under 80lbs, cats...
- 【 Easy to clean】 It's easy to gain access to the inside...
- 【Easy to assemble】 With all necessary parts included,...
- 【Protect your pets against bad weather】 The wooden dog...
Dog houses are a great way to protect your pup from the elements. However, most of the time these houses are not attractive and they do not work well with your outdoor decor.
Rockever Wood Dog Houses will solve this problem for you. Rockever Wood Dog Houses are easy to clean, weatherproof dog houses that are built to last for many years.
They come in many different styles and sizes so you can find one that will fit into your yard.
- Weatherproof Dog Houses Outside with Door and is waterproof
- This dog house is easy to assemble and can be assembled in less than one hour.
- It has a removable floor panel, which allows you to clean the inside so it stays fresh.
- 🐕『Outdoor Dog House』-Our plastic dog house is ideal...
- 🐕『Large Size』-The oversize of the dog house is 34.5...
- 🐕『Strong & Durable』-Our dog house is fastened with...
- 🐕『Easy To Assemble』-Simple tools, complete parts,...
A large dog needs a home that is just as big as he or she is. If you’ve been looking for the perfect doghouse to keep your pup warm and cozy, we have just the place for you.
The Dog House Doghouse House has plenty of space inside and out so your pup can be comfortable and happy. The house will protect your pet from heat, cold, wind, sun, and rain all year long.
- Tough, durable, and easy to clean doghouse that is great for all size dogs
- Winter house to stay warm and dry
- This all-weather doghouse will give your pet the comfort and protection they deserve.
- LOG CABIN STYLE HOUSE: This classic log cabin style raised...
- SPACIOUS FRONT DECK: A roomy front porch is the perfect...
- SOLID WOOD CONSTRUCTION: Made with solid fir and cedar wood...
- PROTECTION FROM WEATHER: The classic A-frame roof is covered...
PawHut 67″ Large Wooden Cabin Style Elevated Outdoor Dog House with Porch is an attractive, modern dog house. With the porch, your dog will feel more at home in this design.
The raised flooring makes this an ideal option for people who want to keep their pet out of the elements.
This elevated outdoor dog house boasts a large, spacious area for your companion to sleep in comfort.
- Provide your dog with a comfortable and stylish home
- Durable and safe for dogs
- Built-in the USA, made of cedar and treated against rot and termites
- Large enough for all dog breeds plus cats
- Provides protection from rain, wind, snow, and hot days
Why Your German Shepherd Needs the Right Dog House?
It may seem strange that you should be concerned with something as simple as a dog house, but in the end, it is important for your German Shepherd.
A dog can get injured and sick when they lie on cold wet ground, and in the wintertime, these poor dogs need to be kept warm and dry.
That is why it is important to provide them with a nice place to stay.
A poorly insulated metal dog house will do little to protect your pet from harsh winter conditions.
There are many different styles of dog houses available with various insulation options.
If you live in an area where your German Shepherd will be left outdoors all year, you may want to invest in a building that has sufficient insulation and heating options for extreme weather conditions.
5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Dog House for Your German Shepherd
Choosing a dog house for your German Shepherd can be tricky. There are so many options and oftentimes you try to balance the needs of the dog and your budget.
Here are 5 things to consider when purchasing a dog house:
- Size: Make sure the size of the dog house will allow all types of weather, but also allow enough space for your dog to fully stretch out.
- Material- The most important consideration is the material of the dog house. Do you want a plastic or wooden dog house? Plastic can offer protection from rain and snow, but it will absorb heat.
- Concrete: A dog house is a shelter for a dog and should be placed outdoors to protect the pet from extreme weather. A good structure has walls and a door to keep the pup sheltered inside. The best type of material not only keeps your pet safe, but also provides comfort and insulation from the cold. Concrete is one such material that performs these functions well, while also being durable and heavy enough to withstand strong winds.
- Cooling and Ventilation: The doghouse for your German Shepherd is a necessity in the wintertime to keep them warm. However, during summer, their doghouse needs to be kept cool, and there are a few things you can do to make this happen.
One of these things is putting ice bricks in with their bedding- this will help the air flow more and by doing so, it will reduce the temperature and make their abode more comfortable.
- Portability: When considering a dog house for your German Shepherd, the portability of the house should be a major factor. A dog needs a home that is easy to move and lightweight enough to be carried by one person. The weight of a typical dog house ranges from 45-130 pounds, with some houses weighing more than 200 pounds. Portable houses are easier to transport and store when not in use.
In conclusion, a good dog house for German Shepherds should be large enough to allow the German Shepherd to lie down and turn around, but not too big that it takes up too much space.
A great example would be the pet mate indoor/outdoor wood frame house as it is one of the largest single door houses on the market.
Now you know what type of dog house is best for your German Shepherd as well as a few other options to consider as well!